Thursday, August 02, 2007

I Had Been on That Bridge

I landed in Minneapolis for a presscheck yesterday. Mapquest took me to Roseville via I-35W.

I was surfing channels in my hotel room when I caught the news a bridge had collapsed. It was surreal to realize I had just come from that direction. I went down to the front desk just to be sure and they confirmed that yes, I had crossed that bridge.

I remember getting on I-35W about the time Chuck called. I checked my phone and he called at 5:47pm. The bridge collapsed at 6:05pm. It is frightening to me how close I came to being there.

It is only by the grace of God that I wasn't.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Very glad that you're still here with us, J. You're probably too young to remember when that skyway fell at the Holiday Inn in Kansas City. It happened not too long after I was there with the first batch of conventioneers, an Amway convention and thus alcohol-free. I remember sitting in a chair nursing Secondborn and thinking, "whoa, I was there just a few weeks ago."

But my experience was not nearly as unnerving as your having passed over that bridge 15 minutes before it collapsed.

Again, very glad you're here; also very glad you came over to Blogger so I can comment on your neat FO's.

If golf is a good walk spoiled, are golf club covers a good knit spoiled? [No, that would be accidental felting, LOL.]

Laura said...

wow. that gave me chills!!!

Thank God in Heaven you're safe. I cannot imagine the shock you must have felt when you relized that!!

Hugs for you!! xoxox