Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where Were You When...?

It's an old question. When I was little I heard my mom and aunts "remembering when" all the time. Today, when they said on the news that everyone remembers where they were when they first heard about an airplane hitting one of the twin towers I realized...I do remember exactly where I was. I was headed to work going north on 360 in Arlington, TX at about Avenue K. I was listening to the Kidd Kraddick show (I've since dropped that habit) when they made the announcement.

When I got to work I went directly to the lunch room to see the pictures on TV. There were others in the room, then more came. The details get foggy from there. The second plane, towers collapsing, they sent us home, nothing on TV to watch to escape what was going on. A zombie like state.


On 9/26/01 my Mom and I got on a plane to go to NH to leaf peep. We'd been planning the trip for a year. We wanted to go to show we weren't scared.


A woman got on the plane to Houston carrying, in her lap, a statue of the Virgin Mary. She was crying, petrified I'm sure. We flew from Dallas to Houston and then on to Boston. At the car rental in Boston, there were semi-truck loads of rental cars coming back to the city. Reminders of people trying to get home after all the flights were grounded.


We had a nice trip. It was worth it all. Absolutely no regrets.
Yup, I remember exactly where I was when...

1 comment:

Angeluna said...

I remember too. I had a houseguest from Canada and we had just turned the television on for the news when it happened. We sat for days and nights watching like zombies. My friend's estranged mother died, and she didn't want to fly to Canada. I had an office in those buildings and watched them go up. It was surreal.

I did make myself go to New York the next month, just to show I could.