Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Yarn Has Spoken

yarn 002

This is one skein of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in color #24. It is a deep barn red.

I'm a big fan of wool and silk mixes (hence my love for Zephyr.) That's what drew me to this yarn at the Shabby Sheep in Dallas TX. What I don't know is why the heck I only bought one skein. It's 185 yards, what can you do with 185 yards of fingering weight yarn?

The yarn has spoken many months later and it wants to be fingerless mittens. http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/fingerless_mittens.htm

I may have to make them a tad shorter, but that's OK. The friend I want to make them for is petite so it should work out perfectly. One of the SOWs (Sisters of the Wool - my knitting group) made a pair with medium weight Socks that Rock yarn and they are fabulous. She made her's really long because she could. I'm going to have to wing it.

I know Susan cast on 60 for her sock weight yarn. I will probably go 60 as well since this yarn is fingering weight.

In the meantime, my sister's Christmas gift is progressing. I'm 3/4 of the way there. But that intarsia is for the birds.

No comments: