Saturday, November 04, 2006

Robyn's Clogs

I'm still working on the swallowtail shawl and making great progress, but I feel a little guilty about not working on birthday and Christmas projects. So I worked on my SIL's birthday clogs last night.

robyn's clogs 005

This is the yarn I have set a side. The light and medium pink are Cascade 220. The dark pink is Patons Merino. The cream is Knitpicks dye-your-own.

I like the dark pink for the soles, but I only have one skein of 220 yards. According to the instructions it should take 400 yarns. So I thought I would kool-dye a skein of the knitpicks to use on the innersole.

robyn's clogs 015

Unfortunately the kool-aid pink is more salmon and not as cool a pink as the pinks I already have. On one hand, I plan to mix the dyed yarn with either the dark pink or the medium pink so it might look fine once it's felted and it's going on the inside sole. On the other hand, once it's felted there's no taking it back.

I'm not sure what I'll do now. I have enough of the light pink to mix on the inside. I could save the salmon for another project. I like out it turned out, just not for this project.

I'm actually very interested to see how the kool-aid dyed yarn looks when it's knit up and when it's felted.

robyn's clogs 009

Here's picture of my hand after the dyeing process. It still looks like that today. Looks like I need to buy some gloves.

robyn's clogs 010

Here's the hand-dyed skein hanging to dry. Again, I like it, just not for this particular project.

A quick review on the Paton's yarn. It felts wonderfully. I did test swatch of the Cascade and the Paton's together and the Paton's turned out much nicer than the Cascade.

No comments: