Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Swallowtail Shawl is Finished!

swallowtail shawl finished

And I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I blocked it this morning and I just cannot say enough about how much blocking changes the look of lace. I wish I had taken a picture before blocking.

I decided to substitute beads for nupps (I hate the nupps) and I'm really happy with the results. It may not look exactly like the lily of valley, but the beads glisten.

swallowtail shawl close-up

Earlier I had mentioned I might have liked it better if the beads were matte, but now I'm glad they aren't. Since I was going nuppless, I'm glad I went all the way the opposite direction.

swallow tail shawl outside

I just like this picture so I'm adding it.

I used Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Sunlight. It took less then one skein. In fact, I have 10 grams leftover, so it wasn't even close. I didn't add any extra repeats and it finished at 50" wide by 25" long.

I like the size, it's not too big. It's about the size of a large scarf. Fairly easy to wear and it does keep my shoulders warm. I plan to wear it to our Christmas party.

I have nothing on the needles at this very minute although I have plenty to knit. So I'll be casting on a new project tonight and maybe another tomorrow for some variety.

No comments: