Saturday, April 04, 2009

Finally Some Knitting Content

Well, there may not actually be content, but at least I'm going to talk about knitting.
I am so close to finishing Liza'a neckscarf. I knit that dagone flower three times and it was a pain all three times. Then I put off attaching the flower for a week because I thought it was going to be hard, it wasn't. She tried it on and it's about an 1" too long, but I knew that was a possibility so it's not cast off. In fact, you don't cast it off. You run the yarn through the live stitches and then affix a button. She's anxious for the scarf (that makes me feel good) so I imagine she will get a button this weekend. Then, it's done. I really should finish that up next week.Anita's hat. It's too big. She tried the hat and now I don't know if I like the way the design looks on her. Maybe it looked goofy because it was too big. I guess I'll keep trudging along on that one. I have to rip back to the increases at the top of the hat and increase to 80 stitches instead of 88. It's only a hat. You would think I could finish that this weekend if I tried. Unfortunately I just haven't been in the mood to knit or do anything. I'm really hoping that will pass.

I deemed this the year of gifted knitting. Which seemed like a good idea when I came up with it. The plan was to have a closet of knitted items to choose gifts from. Knit what I want to knit and give it away when there was an opportunity. As it turns out, the gifting opportunities are coming along quicker than I can finish projects. Then I feel the pressure to finish a project and I'm not enjoying the knitting experience. I'm actually not finding the deadlines to be that motivating. Here's the wacky thing, I'm putting this pressure on myself. Isn't that crazy.

Here is the 2009 gift list I created in December. Let's check progress.

A Hulk Hat for Jack - done
A Calorimetry or Lace Headband for Jack's Sister - done
Liza's neckwarmer - 99% done
A hat, bib and booties for Pedro and Margret's baby - The hat is done. Bibs and Booties - boring
A hat, bib and booties for Baby Rogg - booties done - bib and hat - boring
A hat, bib and booties for Ricky and Crystal's baby - gotta cast on
A lace head band for Brianna Ricky and Crystal's baby's older sister - changing to a floppy hat. She's only 4 or 5 - a headband, what was I thinking
Madonna's scarf - cannot wait to cast this on and knit with silk. This is the gift that is the farthest out and the one I want to knit the most.

New to the list - Mom's Shonagon pillow - another one I can't wait to start. I want to give her the pillow for Mother's Day (May 1oth) so I better get moving.

I need a new plan
Liza's neckwarmer - 99% done - finish next week and gift it already
A hat for Jude - Ricky and Crystal's baby - cast on at the lake next week.
A floppy hat for Brianna Jude's older sister - cast on at the lake next week.
Mom's Shonagon pillow - I'd really like to cast that on this week. A gift for myself for finishing Anita's hat and Liza's scarf. The plan is to knit it in linen so I should give myself enough time to take breaks from the yarn. I'll knit hats in between.
Madonna's scarf - I really cannot wait to cast this on. Her birthday is May 23 so come May 1, no matter what, I'm casting on (if I haven't already). I do not want to have to rush this I want to enjoy the experience.

After that I may take a break from gift knitting to finish a couple WIPs. I've been itching to knit on the shetland tea shawl, but it will take some concentration and I want to knit on it uninterrupted. I'm afraid if I stop in a random spot, I won't know where to pick up when I come back to it.

And then there's the clapotis. I have a whole skein of yarn left. How much longer is that thing going to take?

I have a hair appointment today. I may cast on Jude's hat and take it with me to knit while I'm waiting. Or I could rip back Anita's hat and take it. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

No comments: