Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Vine Lace Shawl is Getting a Turn

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I got just a bit burned out on socks or maybe I am just really ready to knit some lace. Whatever the case, the Vine Lace shawl has been a lot of knitting lately.

I am really enjoying it. My hands don't cramp from trying to hold the yarn tight to maintain some kind of gauge. I just knit and yarn over and purl and don't worry about it being a bit airy. I'm currently at 34" without stretch. I figure I need to be at 52"-55" in order to finisd at 88" or 90".

To determine my finished unblocked length, I measured out a 6" long unstretched section and then blocked that section out. It blocked to 10" long. This told me my unstretched measurement was 60% of the final size. If I want a stole 88" long, I need to get to 55" unstretched. Another example of how to apply math in real life.

I make no mention of the width. I figure that's pretty much set. I was happy enough with the width stretch when I blocked it. I'm good.

Guess I'll get back to knitting. I have about 20" more to go. But I'm really enjoying.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

Oh, yes, airy is good for a shawl. Looks like it may be done soon.

Ronni said...

Thanks so much for stopping by the other day. I've entered your name in the "spreadsheet of yarny goodness".