Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lots to Catch Up On

As a result of plane knitting time, I've made serious progress on my Christmas socks. I've turned the heel (love, love, love the short row heel) on both socks and I'm ready to settle in and truly enjoy the full pattern. Since I'm doing the socks toe up, up to this point, I've only knit a portion of the pattern.


I got a little tricky on the heels. I eased into the pattern as I picked up the wraps. Although the heels don't look the same (they are fraternal twins), I'm happy with the result and the lesson learned.


The vine lace shawl has doubled in size. Which isn't really saying that much, but it is bigger. I took it on the third plane trip and tried to knit lace on a 7:20am flight. What the heck was I thinking? I knit and ripped the same three rows three times. At that point, I was so glad I had one of the socks in my bag.


I guess part of my problem on the lace was I was trying to work from memory on the pattern and at that early hour I was completely second guessing myself. I had the sock pattern with me so there was forward progress.


Funny Story, I had two men comment on the fact I had sharp, pointy needles on the plane. They both said, "I can't believe they let you on here with those." Then the first guy told me how they'd made him throw away a 99% used tube of toothpaste because it was a full size tube. There were not more than 3oz of toothpaste in the tube, but it didn't matter. It was the size of the package. Who can explain the logic?


I'm formulating a plan for dealing with the shortage of yarn on Baby Girl's stocking. I thought I was only three rows short, but there is also the heel flap. I think I'm striping. There are other patterns in the book that do it and I think it will look good.

I'll be taking pictures this weekend to document all the progress.

No comments: