Friday, April 06, 2007

This is Only a Test

golfclub cover test

Apparently Jan Craig has been knitting golfclub covers since the 60's. And I guess they are still popular with all the major golfers. I decided to give the headcovers a try. The SOWs pointed out that they are basically just socks with no heels. That should be easy enough.

There are several patterns available, but alot of them don't have pictures. So I decided to make a sock without a heel and see what I could come up with on my own. I did this in two evenings. A total of about 4 hours knitting, which I didn't think was too bad. This is not however the full size, this was only a test. The leg of the sock has to be much longer.

This is a prototype. I was testing several different things. First, I tested it "toe up", The goal - to ensure I have enough yarn or even better to make sure I use up all the yarn so I don't end up with stash. Learning - my increases look a little too much like the real toe of a sock. Not exactly the look I'm going for. I need to flatten that out.

I also tested out the size of the stripes and the spacing between the stripes. I like the 3 row stripe. And I like two rows between stripes rather than three. There are three rows between the top and the middle and 2 rows between the middle and the bottom.

I was also playing with options for the ribbing. There's a 2x2 rib. Those never really seem to work for me. They don't pull in like I think they should. I'll probably do what I do on my socks, a 4x2 rib. The other rib was a spiraling 4x2. What's interesting about that is the purls pop out instead of pulling in. I like the pattern, but it doesn't pull in the way I want it to.

A friend of a friend has a Jan Craig cover so the friend is going to bring one so I can see it. I think the genius of her covers is the pom pon. Why grown men want head covers with pom pons in beyond me, but that's what struck the person that brought them up to me. I'm interested to see what weight of yarn she uses. I used worsted weight and as I said it knit up pretty fast. However, most of the patterns I've seen call for sport weight yarn. So I'm curious. I tested worsted weight because I plenty of stash in the weight.

The other interesting thing is the headcovers are wool. Don't they know that (1) you can't machine wash those and (2) when they get wet they smell like wet dog. That's going to make your car smell good when you get caught in a rain shower or in the sprinkler on the golf course. But I would much rather knit in wool than acrylic anyway, so I'm happy.

No comments: