Saturday, November 03, 2007

It's Going to be a Good Doggy Christmas

The Doggy Christmas Stocking is finished. Well, I guess it needs to be blocked, but if it had to hang on the mantel tomorrow it could. I had to get creative near the end because I ran out of one of the yarns. Sometimes those situations can really bring out your creative side and I'm pleased with the result.

This was my first real attempt at colorwork. Even though I tried really hard to strand loose on the long carries behind the work, it wasn't enough. It was much better for me to "knit" the yarn behind the working stitches. I hope I'll remember what that means the next time I do color work.

This is Alpaca Drops yarn I've had in my stash for over a year. The label says it's a sport weight, but it sure seems light. I saw this Beads of Earth scarf pattern on Ravelry and thought for sure it was perfect for this project, but it's not. The yarn is beautiful, the beads are great. I just need to put this back into stash so it can decide what it wants to be. But this scarf isn't it.


I'm making great progress on the "I Love Gansey" socks. I turned the heel and have started the full repeats of the pattern up the leg. Each sock is getting a turn and I'll knit until I'm out of yarn or happy with the length. But last night I couldn't fight it anymore, I had to cast on with my Socks that Fit Caribbean colorway. In the skein, there seems to be so much more white, but when knitted upThe white is only in small dashes like caps on waves, so I'm liking it. I'm playing with some stitch patterns to see if I want to design my own sock. The first pattern didn't work. It was going to be too much trouble to convert from back and forth into the round. That's OK because it was a close call between two different stitches so the second one definitely wins. I'll be giving all three socks (two Gansey, one unnamed) turns tonight. I want to continue forward progress on the Gansey, but can't wait to see how the blue socks come together.

1 comment:

bookgrump said...

OOohhhh... The Socks That Fit colorway is pretty knitted up. Even better than I imagined. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it. When you're a famous sock designer, can I say that I knew you when?

The puppy stocking is cute too. Baby Girl is going to feel so special! Or want to chew on it. One of the two!