Friday, November 16, 2007

Random Stripe Knitting

Actually, I can't believe how I'm blowing through projects this year. I mean, my rate of finishing socks is no where near some people's pair a week, but for me I'm cranking them out. Actually, I laughed at myself because when I finished up my "I Love Gansey" socks, I thought, "Man, I must have cranked those out in about a month." I checked Ravelry and found no, I started them in September not October, but still for me, I knew that was record time for a pair of socks. I do need to finish the bind-off and then get some pictures taken.

Since I finished the Corrugarter scarf and the Beads of Earth Scarf fell through, I need a no brainer knitting project for my 15 minutes a day knitting. The baby booties went so quickly they didn't fulfill this need. I decided to cast on my brown and black random striped socks. The yarn is Elann Esprit. I have one ball of each. I got passed the toe increases last night and knit for a while and decided this morning they were going to be way too big. I normally cast on 72, these were 60 and I'm going back to 52. It's a heavier yarn on size three needles, but that's crazy - 52. It's elastic, so I want them to be a little tight. Worst case I just increase a few stitches down the line.

I'm working them toe up, because I love toe up. And I'm having to work them one at a time because of the way the balls are wound. I usually like to do two socks at a time.

I've decided to frog the Caribbean socks. I like the pattern, but this yarn doesn't need to be mixed up the way the pattern would mix it up. I like the colorway so much, I want it to be the star. So I've decided to go with a stockinette front and back and a cable down each side. There's a pattern on Ravelry called "Aran Braid" and it is perfect, interesting enough for me to knit, while still allowing the colorway to shine.

I'll be casting on the Aran Braid socks soon. For my not so brainless knitting.

No comments: