Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dyeing my Autumn Walk Colorway

To create my striping pattern I needed a 20 foot skein. Fortunately that just means you have to put the chairs 10ft apart. You can't see it in this picture but the tape measure is laid out on the floor for positioning the chairs. After the skein was measured, I used floss to mark the color sections. And you can see, I have my handy dandy notebook to make notes.
I bought way too much orange, yellow and red kool-aid. It only took one packet of each to get to the color depth I wanted. After I was finished with the fall color sections, I dumped the water out and used the same jars for the green. I didn't rinse the jars any tint left went into the green. I figured it would add variety. I was amazed at how quickly the larger yarn sections soaked up the green coloring. I had 13 packets of the green and used it all. The last packet I sprinkled over the yarn in a pan for a dappled effect. We'll see how that works.
Not a very good picture, but this is the yarn in the backyard drying. It's a litte windy outside. I hope it dries in time to take it to knitting tonight. I can't wait to see how this knits up.
As I mentioned, the yarn really soaked up the green color. Look at all those lemon-lime packets. I thought I was going to have to make a run to the store.

It took only an hour for coloring process. I've read several descriptions of the stove top method and it said you had to soak the yarn in the dye for 45 minutes. Mine did not take that long, that could be because of the striping I'm creating.

Now I just have to get the yarn into a ball without it turning into a rats nest. I'll post a picture when that's done.

No comments: