Saturday, November 01, 2008

12:01 Felted Pumpkin

This is my great pumpkin destash. I decided I wanted to make the 12:01 pumpkin after I saw Grace's three pumpkins. But I didn't want to buy any yarn. I felt a personal challenge to see if I could make these from stash. With my WotA natural, WotA Bulky natural, fingering natural and some brownish scraps of Cascade, I had more than enough grams to do the job. I did end up going into the second skein of fingering weight wool, but I've had it in my stash for so long and I will not make any socks from it so it's OK. I used over a dozed packets of orange kool-aid. I had previous dyed one skein with tamarindo flavored kool-aid and it was hideous brown, then I over-dyed it with red and yellow mixed (trying to make orange) it came out persimmon. Then I added orange, but by then it was tired and it wouldn't take any more dye.

I had a lot of fun mixing the colors back and forth.
Here's the finished product. It's brighter in real life, but not as bright at the yarn picture above. I did lose some dye while I was felting. I didn't heat set the kool-aid. It's never been an issue before, but I really pushed the dye on a couple these skeins. It might be that I pushed too much.
I used the pumpkin to hand out candy Halloween night. Now it sits on the table as a Thanksgiving decoration.


No comments: