Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Lovin' The Shabby Sheep

My sister was in town last weekend and we did a small 2 store yarn shop crawl.


My usual stop is the Shabby Sheep. Ronda is so nice and she knows me, calls me by name and makes me feel welcome. More than that, I like the yarns she carries. At any given point in time, I can walk in the store and love 95% of the inventory. The other 5% is baby yarn. It's just not where I'm at.


Jeannie liked the selection too, but it merely whetted her appetite and she hadn't spent all her money. There are several more shops in the area so we headed toward one I've only been in once. Up to this point, I stayed away because it's "geographically undesirable." But this was a special occasion.


When we got to the other store* we were overwhelmed with the selection. It's probably double what's at the Sheep, stacked floor to ceiling - literally to the ceiling. They had a nice selection of popular yarns. I found several things I liked. At the same time, I waded through a bunch of yarn which was not my taste. I'd say 33% of the inventory fit my taste the other 66% just got in my way and overwhelmed me. See the * below, this is not a negative critic of this store.


It's kind of like dating around before settling down. I was sowing my wild knitting oats. What I realized is, the Shabby Sheep has what I need.

It is so good to know the store closest to me, with the greatest staff is also the store that's the best fit for me.


*I'm specifically not naming the other store because it is not my intent to give it a bad review. It's a great store, I just have more in common with Ronda's taste.

DS and I had a great time.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Nicely stated. We have a lot of good options here in the D/FW area. Shabby Sheep is my favorite, and I now live half a mile from my second favorite shop. My third favorite shop is only a couple of miles away. All these LYS's are wonderful because of the warmth and savvy of their owners. I am so happy to give them my business!