Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fair Isle Swatching

Six months ago I would never had dreamed that I'd have the Fair Isle bug, but I've been bitten. Fingerless mitts seem like a good knitted Christmas gift. Not a huge investment of time, practical for the recipient and I can make them from my stash. I enjoyed the Stulpens so I searched Ravelry for other fingerless mitt patterns and there they were Eunny Jang's End Paper Mitts.

Step one: Go to Ravelry find the pattern and queue it. Own the project.

Step two: While on Ravelry, check your stash and study your options.

Step three: Annouce your intent at knit night. I was so happy to hear Jeri wanted to knit the End Paper mitts too. With little persuasion, Rebecca jumped on board and we decided to have a fall KAL. All the Sisters are invited to join in the fun.

Step four: Get back on Ravelry and study other people's FO, WIP and UGHs. Figure out what you like and what you don't.

Step five: Swatch. Yup, I'm gonna do it. Not for gauge, although that will be a side benefit, but to see which color goes where and to be 100% sure this is a project I want to tackle.

The pink swatch is finished and I do want to do this project. First, I did grey with pink (bottom.) This is the way it's been coming together in my head and when I saw the results, I thought for sure I had a winner. I went ahead with the pink with grey swatch anyway (top.) Wait a minute, I kind of like this too. I'm not any closer to making a decision that before I swatched. In fact, I may be more confused.

The swatch went pretty fast. I did two of the three repeats of the pattern needed for the cuff of the mitt and finished in one night of unrushed knitting.

No comments: