Saturday, January 07, 2006

Summer Sweater

I started a cute summer sweater from garnstudio.com. Here's the link to the pattern. http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=60&d_id=4&lang=us
It's not the best picture because the model is laying on the sweater, but I gathered from the pattern that it was the perfect first sweater for me.


Last summer I came across a sale at PassionKnit in Dallas and bought 7 skeins of Praemium Egyptian gassed mercerized cotton in a lovely pale green color (see 979 below). It was $2.25 per skein and I bought all they had. I've been waiting for the yarn to tell me what it wants to be. When I saw the sweater pattern above, I knew the yarn had spoken.
See how shiny it is!
I started knitting last Monday. I realized today my gauge is slightly off and the sweater is huge. Well the 5" that are done are too big. A big thanks to Jeri for helping me figure out what to do about it. I have to frog what I have, and start over with fewer stitches on smaller needles. It's OK though. I plan to wear this on the cruise in February, but I still have time.
Garnstudio.com also has patterns for den-m-nit yarn. I recently order 3 balls from Elann. I ordered 1 of each color. At the time I just wanted to see what the yarn was like and I knew it was kind of silly to buy single balls because what project can you make with one ball. But now I'm thinking, if I can make this sweater pattern work, I can make a striped version using the three different colors of den-m-nit even if I have to order more balls of yarn and they are they a different lot number, I can mix the lots in the stripes and it will look intentional.

Or I'll make a pillow case for a decorative pillow. That works too. Exciting projects lay ahead.

No comments: