Thursday, January 26, 2006

It Rained - Praise the Lord - I Dyed Yarn

We woke up to rain this morning for the first time since Halloween - Praise the Lord. I wanted to dye some yarn and since I was going to have to be inside it was going to have to be short skeins. After church, I put on my dyeing clothes, got out the tape measure, my notebook, kool-aid and yarn and got busy.

The first skein I dyed was an 8ft test skein of knitpicks fingering weight dye your own. I put two chairs 4 feet apart to create a skein that totals 8 feet. The diagram below shows how I put the colors together. Changin' Cherry is a great turquoise color and artic apple is a yellow green.


The colors are great together and pictures in no way do them justice. I would definitely use these colors together again.

I had some kool-aid left over and I also have some knitpicks alpaca cloud in "sunshine" which is sort of cream. I dunked it in three of the colors.

Creating a skein that looks like this.


Here are the colors close up. I intentionally soaked these colors longer for more saturation. I didn't get a chance to knit this up tonight so I don't know how it's going to look. I made a 4ft skein by wrapping the yarn around a two ft ruler. In the picture above the colors are out of order. The lime green color on the right is actually in the middle. It will appear as two short repeats. The turquoise and blue are each one long repeat. I really like the turquoise and blue together, I'm not so sure about the bright limey green. I'm anxious to see how this knits up.


I have in mind to use this stole pattern to create a lace scarf . We'll see how that adaption works.

I should probably also mention the green sweater is coming along. I started the third ball of yarn and I'm nearing the 8" mark. I figure I'm going for 12" or 13". Then I get to start shaping the top.

No comments: