Friday, August 29, 2008

A Small Project

Sometimes you have to stop your regular knitting and interject a small project for a friend.

Tuesday I commented on Anita's new cute haircut. She looked at me like I had three heads (in a very sweet way) and whispered, "This is a wig. I have breast cancer and I'm going through chemotherapy. Didn't Connie tell you?"


No Connie did not tell me. And the wig looked great because I really did think it was her hair. I repeated that the wig looked great and offered to knit her a hat.


This is where Ravelry comes in. I searched for a hat pattern. Found it - Shedir. Checked out other people's yarn choices - Rowan Calmer spec'd by the pattern was the clear winner. I read people's notes and learned from their experiences. I also tapped the SOWs. We have several people with varying degrees of chemo experience. All agreed Calmer was a good choice. I'm headed to Yarns Ewenique in Ft. Worth tomorrow to pick up a skein of blue.


In the meantime, I discovered Pi Topper Chemo Cap that calls for Elann Esprit. It will go much faster than Shedir, so I'll cast it on first. I have three skeins of dark green Esprit. I'm thinking I can finish the green hat this weekend.


My sister made an interesting point, she said some people use chemo caps as pajamas for their heads. I thought that was cute.

No comments: