Monday, June 30, 2008

Two Finished Objects

With Camp Juwie in full swing last week, I didn't get a ton of knitting done on my vacation, but I did work on a couple of the simpler projects. The result is two finished objects. First, the Stulpens knitted for Lisa's friend Yolanda. She has arthritis in her hands and they are cold most of the time. The alpaca should keep them warm. The project sort of came out of the blue, but it was so fun to do and such a good use for this yarn. The Garnstudio Alpaca languished in my stash for so long. I'm glad I didn't force it into something it didn't want to be because it makes perfect fingerless mitts. Love, love, loved the cables. Stulpens were a quick knit even though on the calendar it looks like it took me a long time. Hour-wise they went quickly.
Notice the slight flare at the bottom of the mitt, I cast-on the project on size 3 needles. Five rows in I realized the gauge was all wrong. Who knew sport weight yarn on 3's could be airy. Figuring this could be my swatch, I decided to switch to 1's and see if that was better. It was. At that point I decided I liked the subtle flare and contined on. I mimiced it on the second one and I really do like it. When it's on you don't even see it and it keeps it from being tight around the arm.
I also finally cast-off my Caribbean colorway socks at knit night last Tuesday. This is an old picture. I have to be honest. I'm so over socks right now. 2008 was deemed the Year of Lace and I'm so glad. It's just the break I needed. I'm not done with socks forever, but for now, I'm happy to be doing something else.

No comments: